Sunday, November 7, 2010

Instructors that inspire...

I have been studying Interior Design at the LDS Business College in Salt Lake City now for almost 2 months, and have really come to love it. There are definitely ups and downs with some of the pre-requisite classes, but the classes in design I truly love. It was a difficult decision for me to decide between my passion and staying at BYU, but I now know that I have made the best decision for me.

I love what I'm studying! I'm doing well in my classes, and can't remember the last time till now where I could not get enough information from what the instructors had to teach me. I thirst for more design, color, ideas and information. I have come to find one of my favorite teachers that I have had through all of my schooling. His name is LaMar Lisman, he dresses classy, loves his job, is straightforward, says what he wants, and knows what he is doing! I look forward to every class he teaches in "Color Theory."


So far I enjoy the assignments of color boards we have had, and recently did well on our midterm, which felt great and reassuring that this is where I need to be and design is what I need to do.

This week we have been given an assignment to create a master bedroom for a couple in their mid 40's who want a pleasant retreat. The room needs to reflect an organic feel, and must include the color: Pale Peach...lets just say he gave us each a "challenge color" which basically means our least favorite color must be incorporated somehow in the room. At first I thought how am I going to make this work? There is no way that pastel peach will work for a husband and wife's organic master, but after searching for some design inspiration I have become excited about the challenge, and may even be able to say I don't mind the pastel peach anymore...

Here are some of my glimpses of inspiration to share:






I'm thinking of combining the rustic linen look with some deep rich neutrals: browns creams and taupe, with some fun greens, coral and maybe a hint of blues and my fun splash of peachy pink. I think it will all come together, I just have to remember stay organic, and gender neutral. We'll see how it turns out!


Finished Product:

             I was so excited for this project to prove that I could really do a great job on each of my projects, but I learned a great lesson during the time of this color board and that is that time is precious, and when unexpected things pop up in your life to throw you for a whirl you just have to step up, face it, and roll with the punches. Needless to say I just didn't have the time I would have liked to put into this project and was definitely hurt by it. LaMar was just about as disappointed as I was on my board, but it has proven to be a great lesson for me. I will just bounce back and try my best next time!


No comments: